Sunday, July 26, 2009

lil' prune's heartbeat


I'm towards the end of 10 weeks now and lil baby Pultorak is the size of a prune. Most all of his/her vital organs are in place and this week his muscle tissue is forming, his arms and legs can even bend now. We were talking the other day about how crazy it is all that has already formed in our lil one; they just need time to grow bigger and stronger.

I had to go to the doctor for a random extra appointment on Thursday, I didn't think that they were going to do much more than some lab work so Andy didn't come. Once I got all checked in the nurse said that she was going to try to find the babies heart beat using a doppler ultrasound. She warned me that it was really early to hear the heart beat seeing as they don't usually try to fdind it with the doppler until 12 weeks. I was really excited to get to hear the heart beat, and also sad Andy wasn't there to get to hear it too. If we would have known they were going to do that Andy would have come. She wasn't able to find it but said it didn't mean there was anything wrong, 'it's like finding a needle in a haystack'. I was alright with it because she had said it was almost too early to find it and I wanted Andy to get to be there the first time we hear it. So the nurse left and I waited for the doctor for around 45 min or so; if I would've known I would be in there waiting so long I would have brought snacks and something to read with me. Eventually the doctor came in and said that she was going to find the heartbeat. She was pretty determined. So she looked around with the doppler, and actually found it! It was incredible; I got to hear our little babies heart actually beating! It was so amazing. I wasn't sure I would know what I was supposed to be listening for but the second she found the heartbeat I felt this overwhelming joy come over me. I started crying a bit I was so excited. I no longer cared how long I had to wait, I would have waited there all night to get to hear that. It was so incredible to get to hear our little ones heart beating! I actually know where the baby is now too by where she found the heartbeat. I was so exctied to get home and tell Andy all about it and show him where our baby is etc. I can't wiat untill we go for our next regular appointment and Andy gets to hear the heart, and we'll get another ultrasound!

His/her heart rate is at 168 right now which they said was good for how early it is and that it would start to slow down in the weeks and months to come. It should be around 120 by delivery. On to week 11 tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jess, what an exciting day! What a wonderful thing to hear your baby's heart beating! You are such a great mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mom, I sure hope I will be!

    ReplyDelete