Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Mountain Biking

We visited the OBGYN for our first appointment (8 weeks). Our due date has been set at February 16, 2010 & the size measurements from the ultrasound pegged us at a little more than 7 weeks along. The doctor's visit lasted a truly grueling 2 1/4 hours but we got a lot of really helpful information, plus a bag full of advertisements to take home. Our new demographic (young couple w/ a child) looks to be bloodthirsty marketing territory. A couple of surprises from the visit to the doctor:
  • No deli meats or cheeses - they potentially contain dangerous parasites. Jess really resisted this one - I think because we just bought a pound of delicious ham which I will now be forced to consume on my own.
  • No mountain biking. I asked several times and the doctor just laughed. She didn't think I was serious.
  • The baby's heart is beating at an amazingly fast 136 beats/min (correct me if I've got that wrong darling). The heart is under the control of the spinal tubes right now & will slow down when the baby's brain starts to take over.
  • The doctor wants Jess to gain about 20-30% of her current body weight by the end of the pregnancy. That seems impossible right now!
The best part was seeing the baby. It was special for both of us but I think even more amazing for me because Jess still looks the same as always on the outside. More to come later...

No comments:

Post a Comment