Thursday, October 15, 2009

H1N1 - I was sent home for others being sick

I got sent home from work today due to others in the office being sick.

There has been a lot of concern regarding the H1N1 flu this season worldwide. Recently here in Colorado we've had many reported cases of H1N1 and hospitalizations lately. Andy and I have been following it really closely, especially information on the vaccine, because I am in the top risk class because I am pregnant. I heard today that 6% of the deaths from Swine Flu have been otherwise healthy pregnant women; typically only 1% of the population is pregnant at any one time which makes the statistics about H1N1 startling. We've talked to our doctor about it and she recommended that I get both the seasonal flu shot and the H1N1. So I've had the seasonal flu shot already and will get the H1N1 when it is available, which should be a little over a week from now at my next appointment. Until then my doctor said to avoid prolonged contact with anyone who has it and to let her know if I start to have any symptoms.

I work in a very small office (about 10 people) we've had people sick on and off for the last few weeks and it seems like this week people were dropping like flies. One of the owners now thinks that he has H1N1 as well now and hopefully has gone home. I was pretty sick earlier in the week with food poisoning but have finally recovered from that now. So I was back at work today and actually feeling pretty good. This afternoon the owner called a meeting to discuss how to handle H1N1 all the sickness that seems to be going around the office. His wife is a nurse and had been on the phone with him telling him to do something; get the sick people out and to keep me away from it. In an effort to ensure I don't catch whatever it is the others have my boss sent me home for the rest of the week, and I'm supposed to check in on Monday before I go in. They have also decided to disinfect the office this afternoon to try to get rid of any germs that may be lingering. How crazy is this situation. My boss told me he's not willing to take a risk at me getting sick, I thanked him and told him neither am I.

I am thankful that they are being so thoughtful and looking out for me and our babies best interest, and that so far I've managed to avoid it. I am also thankful for their wives who where very firm that they needed to make sure I wasn't stuck around whatever has been going around the office because I'm pregnant and more susceptible to it.

The owner and another principal of the company both have wives who are nurses and have heard of all the work cases that are around. One of them, who works at a Denver hospital, said that they had a woman in the other day who was 26 weeks along and had H1N1. She ended up loosing her baby due to the flu. It pretty scary what is going on right now. I just pray that God will watch over us and keep the baby and I healthy and safe, and get us through this flu season.

No comments:

Post a Comment