Monday, March 1, 2010
Ethan James Pultorak
We are extremely excited and proud to introduce Ethan James Pultorak!! Born Saturday morning February 20th at 3:46am. 6lbs 9oz and 20in long! Happy and healthy with all 10 fingers and toes. We are over the moon excited to finally have our little Ethan here with us and get to love him all up. Saturday was the greatest day of my life.
Ethan came four days after his due date but once he decided to come there was no stopping him, he was ready to be here. It all went really quickly especially for being our first pregnancy. I started having some contractions around 7 or so. They were really spread out but I could tell there was something different, these ones were fairly sore even though they were spread apart. Andy and I went over to Target and got The Borne Ultimatum ans some ice cream for the evening. As we watched the movie the contractions kept coming even as I started to fall asleep. At this point I knew they weren't going to stop this time. After the movie at around 10:30 we went to bed for a bit to try to rest while I was waking up to every contraction and then waking Andy up as he was timing them. Our bodies must have known what was about to come because we would fall asleep for the 6 or 7 minutes between. As they built in intensity we knew this was it. Once they'd been coming every 5 min lasting 1minute and they had been coming for almost two hours like that Andy called our doctor and we got ready to head to the hospital. All of the sudden the contractions were coming faster and stronger, 4 min apart and then a few were 3 1/2 min apart as we left for the hospital. All of the sudden I knew we had to get to the hospital and fast.
On the way there I didn't feel stressed or in a panic, I felt fairly calm and was just trying to focus on staying calm through each contraction. We got to the hospital and got checked in around 1:30am. Seeing as we were fist time parents they thought I'd be there for hours in labor. They took us up to the triage room to get us checked in and make sure I was actually in labor. Yep I was 5cm dilated and almost all the way thinned, contractions were coming every 2 1/2 min at this point which made answering a million questions about family history very difficult. Once they took us to our labor and delivery room labor was in full gear. They checked me once again before getting my iv and everything in and I was already at 8cm, I was already part way into transition. The next little pit was pretty tough, I felt really out of control but I knew it would all be worth it in the end. All of the sudden I got the uncontrollable urge to push. As I told the nurses that I needed to push they all started to scramble because there wasn't a doctor in the room and our doctor was still on her way into the hospital. They got the hospital staff OB doctor in to delivery Ethan, we lucked out though because she was great, I instantly felt comfortable with her and she was very much like our doctor. I pushed for around 6 minutes and Ethan was born!
While I was pushing I remember the doctor saying they could see Ethan's head and all of his hair, I looked at Andy and he had the biggest smile on his face, I could see his joy and excitement at seeing the first gimps of his son. Getting to see that gave me that bit more strength I needed. At 3:46 am our little Ethan joined us and lay on my belly for a few minutes before they took him away to be cleaned up. Getting to see our little man for the first time and feel him moving around on my belly was absolutely incredible. It makes any pains and discomforts of labor worth every second. It's such a roller coaster going from the intense pains of labor to the overwhelming joy of having your little baby with you. By far the joys out weigh the pains. All in all the nurses said they considered my labor to be 5 hours, from when contractions were steady until delivery. Most first time labors are around 12 hours, ours was less than half that. When Ethan's ready for something and decides he wants it, he's ready now, no messing around. Dr. Russel who was the doctor on call from our doctors office over the weekend arrived just after delivery was over, she was so bummed to have missed it and couldn't believe how fast I went.
We absolutely love our Ethan! We are so blessed to have him here with us, healthy as could be, and eating and sleeping really well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment